Warning- navel-gazing ahead!
It’s the last day of the year, which always seems to be a time to reflect upon the year past, count our blessings, mull over mistakes and decide how next year will be different. I’ll leave my decision as to how to tackle my life until tomorrow, but below are my top seven things I have learned this year.
1. My granda left his mark upon us all, even though we hadn’t seen him a great deal over the years. I am so glad we were able to visit him this year before he passed away.
2. My children continue to amaze me with their ability to adapt to circumstances, their love for adventure, and their insatiable appetite for gelati. Master BG fell in love with Vincent Van Gogh, Leonardo Da Vinci and the London Underground, and Miss BG was a magnet for nonnas and little French boys. What’s more, they were able to settle back into school and kindergarten without too much fuss!
3. t still amazes me how far technology has come. I met my new niece in Australia when I was in London visiting the Science Museum, through the marvels of Skype on my brother’s phone. My blog was a virtual postcard which kept my family up to date with how we were travelling. And soon I will be able to ‘publish’ a book of our trip!
4. How proud I continue to be of Mr BG, his ability to put out 2 EPs, perform several times with his band, and put up with me.
5. I get angry at issues and people over which I usually have no control. Changes at work, people and family not listening to me are the main culprits, and leave me feeling frustrated and unhappy. This is something I need to address in the next few months.
6. Santa and his elves were very generous with their presents! Next year the little BGs will be learning about the importance of giving as well as receiving, and hopefully won’t be too overwhelmed as they were this year.
7. The importance of looking after yourself. I’ve let stuff slide over the last year looking after my family, but after feeling blah and facing a health scare, I need to prioritise time for my own health and fitness.
What have you learned about yourself this year? Is there anything from this year you would like to change for next year?
Wherever you are, have a happy New Year!